How important is detoxification? It’s very important!
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, more than 4 billion pounds of chemicals were released into the ground in 2000, threatening our natural ground water sources.
Over 260 million pounds of chemicals were discharged into surface waters (i.e., lakes and rivers).
Nearly 2 billion pounds of air emissions were pumped into the atmosphere.
Over 400 pesticides are currently licensed for use on food crops, and every year over 2.5 billion pounds are dumped on crop lands, forests, lawns and fields.
Some common ways our exposure to toxins is increased include:
- Having dental silver amalgams (fillings), certain vaccinations, and eating fish can increase your exposure to mercury.
- Eating a diet high in processed foods and fat.
- Drinking tap water.
- Consumption of caffeinated or decaffeinated beverages.
- Alcohol consumption.
- Tobacco use.
- Prescription, over-the-counter, and recreational drug use.
- Using pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, paint and other toxic substances without adequate protective gear.
- Living or working near areas of high vehicle traffic or industrial plants.
- Liver, intestinal or kidney dysfunction.
Research shows it’s not a question of “if” we are carrying a burden of these toxins; but rather, “how much” and to what extent they affect our health. Common symptoms of toxin build-up (toxicity) include headaches, joint and muscular aches and pains, and fatigue. There is, however, much more to consider:
- Immunological toxicity may be a factor in asthma, allergies, skin disorders, chronic infections and cancers.
- Neurological toxicity affects cognition, mood, memory and neurological function.
- Endocrine toxicity affects reproduction, menstruation, libido, metabolic rate, stress tolerance, glucose regulation, and more.
Dr. Greenstein can help with the problem of toxin build-up (toxicity) by:
- Recommending specific lifestyle changes to reduce your intake of and exposure to toxins.
- Prescribing specific dietary and nutritional supplementation recommendations because adequate nutrition is essential for effective detoxification.
- Recommending Far Infrared Sauna use at home.